Residents of flood-hit homes advised to get rid of mould quickly
Flood-hit residents should start clean-up operations at their homes within 48 hours of flood water subsiding, so as to minimise mould problems, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit said yesterday.
"Scrub flood-affected floors and walls as soon as possible," he said.
Paijit warned against repainting to cover mould-affected walls. "If you can't remove the mould from your stuff, you will need to replace it," he said.
Mould growth is not always visible. Sometimes, an earthy or musty smell is the only sign of the presence of mould, which can carry health risks ranging from difficulty breathing and eye irritation in allergy-prone people, to serious infections in those suffering with chronic conditions such as hypertension and heart disease.
"Throw away any item from which all the mould cannot be removed," Paijit advised.
Paijit recommended that furniture, walls, toilets and bathrooms be scrubbed using cleaning liquid.
During the cleaning, he said doors and windows should be left open to improve ventilation, while cleaners should wear protective gear including rubber boots, rubber gloves, eyewear and facial masks.
"For flood-water-soaked clothes, wash and then boil them," he said.
Paijit said all kitchen utensils at flooded houses should be thoroughly washed before use.
"Your air-conditioners should be cleaned too," he added.
Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said mould could become a problem if a house was flooded for more than two consecutive days.
"You need to check ceiling boards, pipes and wallpaper," he advised.http://www.nationmultimedia.com/
-- The Nation 2011-11-15