Health Tip: Caring for an Ankle Sprain
(DrEddyClinic News) You can sprain http://www.dreddyclinic.com/findinformation/ss/sprainsandstrains.php
an ankle during just about any activity, even walking. A sprain occurs when the ligaments that support the ankle become stretched beyond their normal range, or torn.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this list of possible non-surgical treatments for a sprained ankle:
• Take it easy and allow your ankle to heal. Depending on the sprain's severity, healing generally takes four weeks to six weeks.
• Use RICE -- rest, ice, compression and elevation.
• If swelling and pain make it tough to walk, use crutches for a few days to help you get around.
• For some types of ankle sprains http://bit.ly/nutracool
, your doctor may recommend an air splint or castboot.
• Rehabilitation therapy may be prescribed to help prevent chronic problems.